Tuesday, July 22, 2008

a finger on the pulse.

(Joshua Masayoshi Huff)

As most everybody knows, The Dark Knight broke box office records opening to $155.3 this past weekend.

I just don't get it. No, I haven't seen the film. But, I haven't seen any of the X-Men films, either. Nor have I seen any of the Spiderman flicks. I didn't see Spawn or The Punisher. I didn't see either big screen incarnation of The Incredible Hulk.

I just don't get it. I never enjoyed comic books. I didn't understand the appeal in rooting for superhumans. Aren't they supposed to win? I mean, they're extraordinary! What's the point in rooting for the house? Isn't that counter-intuitive?

I grew up worshipping sports stars. Cal Ripken Jr was always my favorite--the man played in over 2,00 straight games...he even showed up on the weekends! Obviously, Cal is gifted athletically, but to me, baseball is about ordinary guys doing things in front of thousands of people. He's the everyman--he could be just about anyone...and yet, he's less loved than superhumans.

Will I see The Dark Knight? Probably. Will I enjoy it? Most likely. Will I understand it? No. Not because of its supposed complicated plot, but because I just don't get the appeal.