Friday, May 2, 2008

friday video premiere

Every Friday, we're highlighting a specific video (or two, or three) for your end of week enjoyment.


This week's Friday Video Premiere is the Kidz in the Hall's "Driving Down the Block"



Yeah, they still reference hip-hop greats like A Tribe Called Quest ("my 'Low End Theory' tape in/playin' number six/ 'Show Business' is my s..."), but this is quite a departure from their first hit single, "Wheelz Fall Off ('06 'Til)"



You've got to say that the influence of fellow Chi-Town crew the Cool Kids had a lot to do with the sound of "Driving Down the Block"...but "Driving Down the Block" had me wondering if the song was a snipe at this sort of slowed down (almost "twisted and screwed") that the Cool Kids and Clipse have been popularizing as of late.

Cool Kids "I (Mikey) Rock"



Cool Kids "Black Mags"





The Cool Kids often talk about their gear and swag ("I got this 89-90, Pistons champ flat/ bill black starter cap with the hologram tags"..."Seat, handlebar grips, is the same as my Nike"..." Aw you judging me dog/Please, you shop at the mall/Me I shop at boutiques, limited quantity sneaks/Where do these quantities be? Maybe they all on my feet"). On "Driving Down the Block", Kidz in the Hall rap: "I'm so damn clean/Polo rugby/ Jordan 16s"

I don't know if there's beef, but I know this for sure: if you're from Chicago, you make sure everybody knows it.

Oh, wait: the Cool Kids rock that 89-90 Pistons champ flat bill black starter cap with the hologram tags. Do they not know of the epic battles that the Bulls had with the Pistons in the '80s?