Saturday, November 10, 2007

and you can tell everybody that this is your song.

(Joshua Masayoshi Huff)

Fine, fine--we've been slacking. Mid-terms, papers--no excuses, play like a champion, right? So, well, we've opened the doors on Saturday. Maybe it's a music post, maybe it's a political post--let's just roll with it.

I actually skipped the USC basketball season opener (which we're losing at the moment) to fill you all in--so, yeah. Right, then.
---

First up, Radiohead did a webcast last night (I feel extremely dirty for having a .rar on my desktop with the title "webcast", even if it is just Radiohead).

You can find youtube clips and the entire recap here..and believe me, it's more than worth it.


The standout track? That's relative of course--but to me, it has to be Radiohead's cover of New Order's "Ceremony".

For those of you who don't care about either band, it's like The Rolling Stones covering the Beatles (I guess that actually did happen), Jimi Hendrix covering Bob Dylan (alright, that happened as well) or Jay-Z covering Nas (fine, fine--"Dead Presidents").

Maybe it just seems really monumental to me--that is one of my favorite songs of all time and it was covered by my favorite band of all time, so I mean, it's really a win-win. That's the best way to imagine in--your favorite song of all time covered by your favorite band.




-----

And while we're at it, another video

The Microphones "The Glow Pt. 2"


Such an amazing song and a really amazing video. The guitars are absolutely insane, and the organs later on just fill the song out perfectly.

----

And, viewing schedules--11 PM EST tonight, you'll be inundated with possibilities. Stay in or go out? Party or take it easy? Whatever you do, make sure you're near a television--the University of Hawaii is going to be playing Fresno State on ESPN2.

I don't care what you're doing at 11 PM--just make sure you're watching. On the East Coast? Invite your friends over--it's cheaper than going out anyway--and make a night of it. Out West? Perfect--watch it before heading out. In Hawaii? You'd just better be at the game--there's no reason that this team shouldn't be selling out every home game.

It's actually my first time seeing this team as well, though you'd think otherwise, judging on how much I build them up.

----
And, a really great song. Elton John's "Your Song"



The "if I was a sculptor/heh/but then again, no" is so great. Haha. I don't know why I'm listening to Elton John, really--am I growing up? Getting out of touch? All I know is 17 year-old Josh would have punched Elton John listening Josh. Haha. It's a bit sad to think that I may be listening to Elton John while driving to work one day--alas, if it's meant to be, it's meant to be.
---

And this is sort of surreal--Prefuse 73 featuring Aesop Rock and MF Doom's "Black List". I wanted to share the song, and i didn't expect to find a video.

However, there is the song running over what seems to be an Arctic expedition (is that Anthony Bourdain?). It's strange...and strangely captivating.


----

I think I'm going to head out to catch "American Gangster"--and I'm not going to lie, I mostly want to see it because I love the soundtrack. Jay-Z raps over the entire thing, and it is mostly a Diddy produced affair. Somehow, it works--it's very '70s soul based and influenced, and is a really good "I'm going to go out in the cold and just be a bad ass" feel to it.

Jay-Z "Roc Boys"





Enjoy the rest of your Saturday.

(And go to Panda Express and get some orange chicken. Seriously. I just want them to hook me up to an IV of that stuff)