Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Iraq has a soccer team--it and its people are all survivors

I hope everyone saw the clips of Iraqi citizens celebrating their soccer team's victory over South Korea in the Asia Cup semifinal.

I hope everyone also heard about the two bombings that were purposefully aimed at the celebrations.

I hope everyone heard the chants of the fans which went something like, "Shiites, Sunnis, Kurds, Christians--damn the terrorists!"

I hope everyone at least knows that David Beckham is a British soccer player, now a part of the LA Galaxy.

I hope every sportswriter who blasted soccer the past few weeks in coverage of Becks' arrival also saw the news about the Iraqi soccer team.

I hope everyone realizes that, as an ambassador of the sport that can create true smiles on the faces of a million perpetual survivors, David Beckham deserves his $250 million.

This sport is worth it in every way imaginable.