Wednesday, January 17, 2007

You Learn Something New Every Day

Who says that professors don't teach anything during the first week of classes? I had been telling my dad that global warming was the reason for the mild DC winter--even though he thinks that global warming is as real as aliens, ghosts and "real Manchester United fans from the United States" and that he needed to watch Al Gore's "An Inconvenient Truth" to understand the magnitude of the problem.

I walked into my "Society and the Environment Class", and the first thing that the professor said was "If you think we're having this winter because of global warming, you'd be very wrong. My fifth grade son knows that it isn't climate change or global warming--it's El Nino. Try telling people in Colorado that they're having a mild winter, and they'd probably very strongly disagree with you."

Point well taken. Regardless, I still hope my dad will watch the film.