Friday, October 26, 2007

A Must Read Article. A Must Read Article.

Jason Whitlock, a nationally syndicated sports columnist with a strong anti-gangerism and anti-black-as-victims voice, wrote a column on October 20 in which he blasts black football players for essentially blowing their chance in the public eye at elevating the perception of African Americans.

To be honest, I find it a delicate, if not straight up uncomfortable, article to comment on in a public domain. What I do know, though, is that Whitlock uses incendiary references to the kinds of things like minstrel shows and 40-yard dash speeds that would make any sociology buff lose their cool.

I see it as a positive thing, this controversial stance. Controversy is good when it makes people talk (see: Socrates). So read it and comment. I’ll gather my thoughts and post again later.

************

By the way, did anyone watch that video of Rivaldo’s bicycle kick? It’s ridiculous, right? You see, mine was just as cool--I just missed the goal and dislocated my shoulder.