Sunday, May 6, 2007

Sing your life - any fool can think of words that rhyme

SOUNDTRACK

1. OPENING CREDITS: The Jungle Book - Bare Necessities
2. WAKING UP SCENE: The Beatles - Here Comes The Sun
3. AVERAGE DAY: Cibo Matto - Working For Vacation
4. FIRST DATE: Animal Collective - Purple Bottle
5. FALLING IN LOVE: Goldfrapp - Fly Me Away
6. LOVE SCENE: The Cure - Mint Car
7. SEX SCENE: G-Unit - Wanna Get To Know You
8. HEARTBREAK: Wilco - I Am Trying To Break Your Heart
9. BREAK UP: Weezer - Butterfly
10. LESSON LEARNING: The Flaming Lips - Fight Test
11. LIFE'S OKAY: Otis Redding - Sitting By The Dock Of The Bay
12. FLASHBACK: The Smiths - Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now
13. PARTY SCENE: The Doors - Touch Me
14. REGRET SCENE: The Kinks - Sitting By The Riverside
15. SLOW DANCE: Al Green - Let's Stay Together
16. HAPPY DANCE: Ella Fitzgerald - Sing Me A Swing Song
17. LONG NIGHT ALONE: The Zombies - Care of Cell 44
18. GOODBYE: Yo La Tengo - I Feel Like Going Home
19. CLOSING CREDITS: !!! - Me And Giuliani Down By The School Yard (A True Story)



The thing about having a million+ GB ipod is that there is not much choice involved. Sure, you may have to oust a couple of albums that you've never listened to, but for the most part, you have all of the music you could want to listen to. When my (first) iPod broke, I turned back to creating mix CD's (an art I had began practicing at 14 when I made my first mixtape featuring 9th grade bands like Finch and No Use for a Name). Mix CD's on the contrary are entirely about choice and thus either intentionally or intrinsically involve themes. Why are you listening to so much Built to Spill and Chet Baker and Buddy Holly? Why are you in a Motown/bluegrass/hip hop phase?

I just recently got a Nano which holds only 1GB of music--nothing. So I've had to narrow down my entire library to just 1GB, and only carry around ONE album from The Smiths. While in Washington DC, I've mostly opted to keep either Metro-friendly, "I hate work" music or dance-y electronic/hip hop for the gym. Sure, I am disappointed when I have the random urge to listen to a particular song that's in my Itunes library but not on my iPod, but it's exciting to decide which lucky songs make the cut.

This playlist obviously follows a very particular format, which I stole from a Myspace bulletin. Believe it or not, filling this out is a great indicator of you, right now. You don't believe me? "Happy dance" eight years ago was probably The Venga Boys - We Like to Party at your middle school dance (don't lie). Happy dance in eight years in the future may be your wedding song. Especially with our generation, music lines up with personal preferences, moods, trends, and experiences.


Download my playlist. Analyze my preferences, moods, trends and experiences? Maybe not. Enjoy good music? Definitely.